Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Addendum to Kevin Gordon's 'IMF continued' post... February 5, 2014

First, a relevant chemistry joke... I actually just typed in 'chemistry joke' (and got a lot of good stuff), and came across this, and felt really smart that I now understand it!



Additonally... Kevin Mentioned a 'cazy' idea he heard of: turning all the roads and pavement into solar cells! Mrs. Friedmann responded by talking about a crazy idea she heard of... giant aluminum tubes that fly in the sky, with two giant metal wings on the side shaped to create upward life when air passes over and under it, charging people to sit in seats and go across the country in like 5 hours... crazy, I know.

Anyway, the thing Kevin talked about (All the literature spoke of the organization 'Solar Roadways', but there may be other initiatives) can be looked at here:
http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml very interesting

---------------------------------------------------------

The thing I mentioned from Policy debate last year (me and nimil ran across a team using this affirmative) was Piezoelectric highways, and I admit, I did scoff at the idea (and I also had to argue against it, being a debate and all): http://www.innowattech.co.il/technology.aspx Energy parasites, very intriguing

---------------------------------------------------------

And furthermore, the moment Mrs. Friedmann began her little spiel about never thumbing your nose at something deemed 'crazy,' I was reminded of this poem (That I very much like and commend) by Edgar Guest, [first stanza]:

Can;t is the worst word that is written or spoken;
Doing more harm than slander and lies;
On it is many a strong spirit broken,
And with it many a good purpose dies.
It springs from the lips of the thoughtless each morning
And robs us of courage we need through the day:
It rings in our ears like a timely sent warning
And laughs when we falter and fall by the way... [and it goes on for three more stanzas; read it here http://allpoetry.com/poem/8471321-Cant-by-Edgar-Albert-Guest]

1 comment:

  1. This was an interesting blog. I loved the poem!

    ReplyDelete